Lizzie and I had our bi-annual dental check-up last month and on that check-up they found out that Lizzie and I had matching cavities. Isn't that so cute? Anyhow today we both had them filled. I was so nervous for Lizzie. She's never had a cavity and I was a little worried as to how she would react to things like Novocaine and drills. We scheduled the appointments so Lizzie could watch me first and then I would sit by her side during her turn.
Well, when they finally got me in my room it was 20 minutes late, thus they were running behind. They put the topical on my tooth and then the dentist came in with the Novocaine. Lizzie watched as he stuck me and I hoped that she wasn't freaking out on the inside. Then the dentist said he'd be back in just a minute to take care of me. Lizzie and I were reading books together when the hygienist came in and said they'd get Lizzie's topical on while they were working on me. So they took her to a different room and I could hear Lizzie charming everyone in her path. Before I knew it I had been sitting in the same chair for 30 minutes without the dentist even coming back in. I thought they would have come for me to check on Lizzie but they just left me there. I could hear her chatting it up with everyone. When the dentist and hygienist came in they were talking about how impressed they were with Lizzie and how she didn't even flinch during the shot! I was so mad. I had wanted to be there for her in case she freaked out or something. But I guess I didn't need to be mad she did great. They worked on my tooth for like 5 minutes and I was done. When I went to Lizzie's room she had like 3 hygienist gathered around her and I thought for sure there was something wrong. Then they all started laughing. She was reading them all one of her books. I watched as the dentist talked to her and showed her the drill and then he told her that if anything started to hurt she just needed to put her left hand up. I held my breath as he started the drill just anticipating some sort of scream of agony when she raised her left hand. The dentist pulled back and asked if she was OK and she said yes. Then he started working again and she lifted her hand once more. I started to get concerned then I saw the twinkle in her eye. She was totally messing with them. Just seeing if they really would do what she wanted them to do. Anyhow she let them finish up the work and then we were on our way. I was proud of the brave little girl. And glad to have that particular first under my parenting belt. Anyhow I guess we'll have to work on better brushing ethics so we don't have to do that again. Even though I know she can totally handle it. It was the far (your left) back molar and ironically enough my cavity was in the same place.
We made it. Pretty smiles still intact.
1 week ago





8 comments:
You must really be close to even have matching cavities! So glad that it was nothing but a pleasant experience for Lizzie! (Hope it wasn't too bad for you either!)
what a brave little toaster :)
Such a brave little runt!
You two are beautiful. What a brave little Lizzie! If I even say "dentist" Hallie starts crying. I'll have to tell her a story about a brave little girl named Lizzie Rawlings.
What a ham!! She cracks me up :o)
Honestly, I know it's lame, but it's my biggest fear that my kids will get cavities at a young age and freak out! I'm constantly telling Brian that he doesn't brush Jack's teeth well enough! Congrats to you and your quick and painless experience!
Oh man. I'm so glad Lizzie did so well. I can't tell you how long I've been putting off The Angel Boy's visit because...it's going to be unpleasant. And that's putting it lightly! Think Lizzie will loan him some of her courage for the visit? Tell her to mail me some and I'll mail her some candy! (Candy is good for your teeth, right? ;)
YOu two must chew your food the same way! hahaha Your lizzy has always been a charmer! Eversince the day I met her in our 41st ward! hahahahah!
Post a Comment